The expected outcomes of the COLRECEPS Project will be:
- To obtain real and reliable data of the amount of EPS generated in the urban zone of Valladolid.
- To develop a logistic model for the collection of wasted EPS in order to achieve a proper treatment of the waste.
- To treat more than 50% of the EPS waste generated in the urban zone of Valladolid, avoiding a 100% o the amount of wasted EPS that is put in landfills and also a 100% of the wasted EPS that is incinerated.
- To revalue the 100% of the wasted EPS that is feed to the plant, showing the effectiveness and efficiency of the recycling of EPS process at pre-industrial scale, which has already been developed at laboratory scale.
- To build and implement a prototype plant for the recycling of EPS with a capacity of 500 kg of wasted EPS per day, avoiding 146,000 kg/year of the wasted EPS that is put in landfills and 36,500 kg/year of the wasted EPS that is incinerated. This will revalue the 100% of the amount of waste that is feed to the plant.
- To obtain a recycled EPS of a quality enough to be used as raw material for the manufacture of new EPS products with high value and with better properties than those usually used. These new products will be specifically designed for the consumer.
- To obtain 2,000 boxes made of recycled EPS that will be used as food containers.
- To reduce the amount of CO2 that is released into the atmosphere due to transportation. The expected decreased will be approximately 227,500 kg of CO2 per year.